International Adoption: Sometimes parents in Texas want to adopt children in regions or countries that are outside the United States. These parents can be united with their adoptive children through the International adoption process.
International Adoption Attorneys
However, international adoption can be extremely complex because you not only have to deal with Texas laws but also the adoption laws of the country the child resides in. This means a lot of forms need to be completed and documents need to be prepared. An experienced international adoption lawyer will review all the documents involved and handle all the legal issues to make the process easier for you.
Video Courtesy of Houston Adoption Attorneys
Rules and Regulations Involved
There are many rules and regulations that you must follow for an international adoption to be valid. But first, you must satisfy the requirements and rules for adoption in Texas for you to qualify for an international adoption. The adoption should also comply with the Hague Convention for International Adoptions. These rules are very strict because they are designed to stop the abduction and trafficking of children. You are also expected to obtain an immigrant visa for the adopted child so that the child can be granted citizenship in the United States.
The International Adoption Process in Texas
The process of adoption you will encounter will depend on the country from you which you adopt. However, there are steps in international adoption in Texas that remain the same no matter which country you choose. They include:
- You will have to choose the country from where you adopt from
- You will have to complete an international adoption home study
- The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Adoption Department must confirm that you are eligible to adopt
- USCIS has to confirm that the child you want to adopt is eligible for adoption
- You will have to finalize the adoption in Texas to safeguard your child’s rights as a U.S. citizen
- The child’s home country must allow adoption by foreigners
- The child must be an orphan and should be younger than 17 years old in age
- You should be 25 years old and over and a U.S. citizen for you to be able to adopt
How A Foreign Adoption Attorney Can Help
Since you will be adopting a child from another country, you should comply with international treaties and laws of foreign nations. An international adoption attorney can assist you in the following ways:
- Your attorney can identify the countries whose adoption laws offer the best chance for successful adoption
- Help you prepare the necessary documents and adoption applications
- Inform you about the adoption quotas and limitations for the specific country you want to adopt from
- Make sure that your adoption does not contravene international laws meant to stop child abductions, sex trafficking and other crimes
- Give you advice on immigration and emigration laws so that your child can get citizenship in the United States
- Help you find a Hague accredited international adoption agency
You will need a resourceful and experienced adoption attorney to help you at every stage of this complex and exhaustive process.
Sponsored in part by a grant from Longworth Law Firm, P.C.